Best Safety Innovation Award Submission
Deadline extended until May 1, 2017
SWANA’s Best Safety Innovation award showcases an exemplary safety innovation undertaken by the solid waste industry during the previous year to reduce hazards and accidents, develop company regulations and best practices, or improve worker safety.
Any organization may enter. The person who submits the application must be a SWANA member.
Entry judges will be looking for your responses to the following:
- Describe the safety innovation you implemented in 2016 (during either the calendar or fiscal year—if the fiscal year, give dates), and what hazards you were seeking to address in taking this action.
- How did you measure results for your program before implementing your innovation?
- What results did you use as a baseline for comparison between the old program and the program after the innovation?
- Over what period of time was the innovation implemented, and how?
- What were the results of the innovation and how do they compare to the baseline you had established?
- Why do you think your safety program deserves this innovation award?
All entries will initially be judged by a committee from the appropriate Technical Division. That committee will select a winner for that Division. The SWANA Safety Committee will then review the winning Division applications and select an overall winner.
Decision of the judges is final.
SWANA intends to present a winner for each Technical Division, as well as one overall winner. Fewer trophies may be presented based on number or quality of entries.
Each winner will receive a trophy at an awards presentation at ISWA World Congress/WASTECON® 2017 in Baltimore, Maryland. All entrants will receive a certificate of recognition for their submission, which will be mailed. Information on the ceremony and reservations will be sent to the winners in June 2017.
How to Enter
Step 1: Prepare your entry
The FIRST page of your entry should be a cover page containing the following information:
- Title: 2017 Safety Award entry
- Name of category (Innovation or Improvement)
- Technical Division that should review submission
- Landfill Management
- Waste to Energy
- Planning & Management
- Sustainable Materials Management
- Collection & Transfer
- Communication, Education & Marketing
- Landfill Gas & Biogas
- Name of entrant organization as you want it to appear on the award trophy if you win
- Name of contact person, with email and phone number
- Entrant’s SWANA Member number
- Title of entry as you want it to appear on the website
- Jurisdiction (city, county, parish, province, state, region, multiple states, etc.)
- Approximate population of the jurisdiction
The SECOND page of your entry should begin with an EXECUTIVE SUMMARY of no more than 150 words. This will be edited to describe your program in SWANA publications, including a press release if your program is a winner. The rest of that page and subsequent pages should answer the questions listed for the category, organized following the order in the judging criteria), mixed with pictures, graphics, etc., to highlight items as necessary.
EACH PAGE of your entry must contain a header with the following information: 2017 Safety Award entry, name of category, Technical Division, name of organization.
Entries should NOT include front/back designed “cover” pages or blank pages. These waste valuable space that you could be using to address the judging criteria.
Step 2: Submit Your Entry
- Go to the Safety Awards Submission Form to submit your entry. If you have problems with the upload, please contact Jesse Maxwell.
- If you are unable to upload your entry into the SWANA system due to its size, it’s too big. Entries submitted via DropBox or other web-based software will NOT be accepted.
Deadline: May 1, 2017