Submission Deadline: April 1, 2018
SWANA’s Biggest Safety Improvement award showcases an exemplary safety improvement undertaken by the solid waste industry during the previous year.
The entrant must be an organization that collects, processes, recycles or otherwise disposes municipal solid waste. The person who submits the application must be a SWANA member.
Entry judges will be looking for your responses to the following:
- Describe your safety program, including your use of Safety Monday and other safety information provided by SWANA.
- How do you measure results for your safety program? Examples include, but are not limited to: the frequency of accidents or injuries, workers compensation claims, amount paid for claims, reduction in hazards.
- What results did you use as a baseline for comparison to determine improvement between 2016 and 2017? (This may be either a calendar or fiscal year.)
- How did you measure the safety improvement that you achieved in 2017? (Quantify reduction in one or more metrics identified in question 3.)
- To what do you attribute the improvement in your safety performance in 2017?
- Why do you think your safety program deserves this improvement award?
All entries will initially be judged by a committee from the appropriate Technical Division. That committee will select a winner for that Division. The SWANA Safety Committee will then review the winning Division applications and select an overall winner.
Decision of the judges is final.
SWANA intends to present a winner for each Technical Division, as well as one overall winner. Fewer trophies may be presented based on number or quality of entries.
Each winner will receive a trophy at an awards presentation at WASTECON® 2018 in Nashville, Tennessee. All entrants will receive a certificate of recognition for their submission, which will be mailed. Information on the ceremony and reservations will be sent to the winners in June.