Biggest Safety Improvement Award Submission
Deadline extended until May 1, 2017
SWANA’s Biggest Safety Improvement award showcases an exemplary safety improvement undertaken by the solid waste industry during the previous year.
The entrant must be an organization that collects, processes, recycles or otherwise disposes municipal solid waste. The person who submits the application must be a SWANA member.
Entry judges will be looking for your responses to the following:
- Describe your safety program, including your use of Safety Monday and other safety information provided by SWANA.
- How do you measure results for your safety program? Examples include, but are not limited to: the frequency of accidents or injuries, workers compensation claims, amount paid for claims, reduction in hazards.
- What results did you use as a baseline for comparison to determine improvement between 2015 and 2016? (This may be either a calendar or fiscal year.)
- How did you measure the safety improvement that you achieved in 2016? (Quantify reduction in one or more metrics identified in question 3.)
- To what do you attribute the improvement in your safety performance in 2016?
- Why do you think your safety program deserves this improvement award?
All entries will initially be judged by a committee from the appropriate Technical Division. That committee will select a winner for that Division. The SWANA Safety Committee will then review the winning Division applications and select an overall winner.
Decision of the judges is final.
SWANA intends to present a winner for each Technical Division, as well as one overall winner. Fewer trophies may be presented based on number or quality of entries.
Each winner will receive a trophy at an awards presentation at ISWA World Congress/WASTECON® 2017 in Baltimore, Maryland. All entrants will receive a certificate of recognition for their submission, which will be mailed. Information on the ceremony and reservations will be sent to the winners in June 2017.
How to Enter
Step 1: Prepare your entry
The FIRST page of your entry should be a cover page containing the following information:
- Title: 2017 Safety Award entry
- Name of category (Innovation or Improvement)
- Technical Division that should review submission
- Landfill Management
- Waste to Energy
- Planning & Management
- Sustainable Materials Management
- Collection & Transfer
- Communication, Education & Marketing
- Landfill Gas & Biogas
- Name of entrant organization as you want it to appear on the award trophy if you win
- Name of contact person, with email and phone number
- Entrant’s SWANA Member number
- Title of entry as you want it to appear on the website
- Jurisdiction (city, county, parish, province, state, region, multiple states, etc.)
- Approximate population of the jurisdiction
The SECOND page of your entry should begin with an EXECUTIVE SUMMARY of no more than 150 words. This will be edited to describe your program in SWANA publications, including a press release if your program is a winner. The rest of that page and subsequent pages should answer the questions listed for the category, organized following the order in the judging criteria), mixed with pictures, graphics, etc., to highlight items as necessary.
EACH PAGE of your entry must contain a header with the following information: 2017 Safety Award entry, name of category, Technical Division, name of organization.
Entries should NOT include front/back designed “cover” pages or blank pages. These waste valuable space that you could be using to address the judging criteria.
Step 2: Submit Your Entry
- Go to the Safety Awards Submission Form to submit your entry. If you have problems with the upload, please contact Jesse Maxwell.
- If you are unable to upload your entry into the SWANA system due to its size, it’s too big. Entries submitted via DropBox or other web-based software will NOT be accepted.
Deadline: May 1, 2017