SWANA

Invited Session: Closing Dumpsites

Recovery of Volumes within Active or Exhausted Landfills: Patented Retaining Structure (0.5 CEU)

Tuesday, September 26, 2017
8:00 – 8:30
Room 323

Moderator: Kendall Christiansen, Principal, Gaia Strategies, New York

Geom. Ciro Frisoli & C. S.a.s.’s patented landfill retaining structure was developed to solve landfill saturation problems through the execution of reinforced embankments composed of municipal solid waste (MSW). The retaining structure is composed of 90 percent of waste already part of the landfill, and the remaining 10% composed of clay and other terrigenous materials, used for the arrangement of an external closing set meeting the 1999/31/CE European regulation requirements. Such know-how is applicable not only in active landfills but likewise in exhausted landfills due to its remarkable versatility. A general overview of the process that constitutes Geom. Ciro Frisoli & C. S.a.s.’s patented landfill retaining structure is presented, including how such a technique relates to the growing necessity of minimizing environmental impacts; how it can be used to optimize landfill management; how it increases the landfill lifespan; how it can be integrated in an aspiring project regarding the closure of the 50 biggest dumpsites in the world; and how it is extremely competitive and one of a kind due to the financial amortizations associated with the volumetric increase and the reduced management and closing costs.

Following the presentation, participants will be able to imagine a revolutionary approach for closing dumpsites, discuss about how integrate waste pickers into projects, change their minds about what is ordinary in landfill management, and choose to think outside the box.

Speaker:

Daniele Cocca, Chief Environmental Engineer and Overseas Sales Manager, Geom. Ciro Frisoli & C. S.a.s., Italy

Daniele Cocca

Daniele Cocca is the chief engineer and overseas sales manager of the Geom. Ciro Frisoli & C. S.a.s., Italy’s leading provider of integrated solutions for landfills. He studied environmental engineering at the Università degli Studi di Roma “La Sapienza” of Rome, Italy, where he has been living for the past eight years. He is a member of the ISWA working group on landfills and speaker at several international meetings. He works and travels abroad, aiming to launch the company into a global market and revamping, in its own way, with made in Italy excellence.