SWANA’s International Solid Waste Design Competition (SWDC) is a student team competition to solve “real world” problems faced by solid waste professionals.
The competition aims at providing design experience to the students interested in pursuing an education and/or career in solid waste management. The program encourages student involvement in the 2017 ISWA World Congress (co-located with the SWANA’s WASTECON® Conference), provides students real world experience in solving complex solid waste management issues in a supportive and fun environment, provides students an opportunity to display their talents, and provides a networking opportunity for students to connect with potential employers.
Join us at ISWA World Congress/WASTECON® 2017 in Baltimore, MD to support 10 teams of students from universities all over the world as they compete for the top prize!
Competing teams include:
- Belgrade Polytechnic University, Serbia
- Case Western Reserve University
- Florida Atlantic University
- Ohio State University
- Polytechnic University of Puerto Rico
- Tsinghua University, China
- University of Cienfuegos, Cuba
- University of Maryland
- University of Texas at Arlington
- University of Wisconsin at Stevens Point
Project Details and Benefits
The next project will be on the cost/benefit of recycling.
Two team awards will be presented to the top teams with maximum overall scores. The minimum award money is listed in the table below. In addition to these awards, every participating student will receive:
- A free conference registration for the ISWA World Congress/WASTECON® 2017 Conference in Baltimore, MD September 24–27, 2017
- A free one year SWANA membership
- A free SWANA Young Professionals Webinar voucher
|First Place Prize
|Second Place Prize
|Third Place Prize
Design Report: The final design report must be submitted by August 18, 2017. The guidelines presented in Section 6 must be followed for the design report.
Poster: Poster must be submitted by August 18, 2017. The guidelines presented in Section 7 must be followed for the poster.
Presentation: The student design teams will present their solution at ISWA World Congress/WASTECON® 2017 (to be held September 25–27, 2017 in Baltimore, MD). The date and time for the presentation are to be scheduled. The guidelines listed in Section 8 must be followed for the presentation.