SWANA is now accepting applications for individuals interested in serving on the Young Professionals Steering Committee. Volunteer committee members represent the entire Young Professionals (YPs) group on the YP governance committee. Individuals would begin their service immediately following the selection process. All Steering Committee members must be a SWANA member in good standing, able to serve a minimum of a two year term, and commit to volunteering approximately five hours a month in this capacity.
Additionally, all Steering Committee Members must be 35 years of age or younger at the start of his or her term.
Responsibilities of This Position Include:
- Participate as an active member of the YP Steering Committee. This includes monthly conference calls and an average of two-four hours of work per month
- Represent the interests of all SWANA YP members
- Promote YP member involvement in SWANA
- Provide YP members with leadership, guidance, knowledge, connections and resources
- Participate in the Mentor Match Program
- Annually attend at least one national conference or symposia annually (ex: WASTECON, SWANApalooza, etc.)
- Participate as a member of one of the Committees (Finance, Education and Professional Development, Regional Representation, Events, Strategy and Policy, Planning, or Membership/Chapters)
SWANA Young Professional members interested in being considered for a Steering Committee position should submit an Application Packet to Lynsey Baer no later than February 14, 2018.
Application Packet Must Include the Following:
- Letter of interest**
- Summary of qualifications clearly demonstrating the following:
- Active participation, involvement, and leadership in SWANA and SWANA YP activities at the local and/or international level
- Professional experience and achievement within the solid waste industry
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills (leadership, consensus-building)
- Communication skills (public speaking, presentations, meeting facilitation)
- Expressed vision for advancing SWANA YP initiatives and his or her goals for YP initiatives during the term of the Steering Committee position
- At least two letters of support or other documentation supporting candidate’s contribution to SWANA and the Solid Waste field (where applicable), options may include:
- Letter(s) of support** from the candidate’s local SWANA Chapter (where applicable)
- Letter(s) of support** from the candidate’s employer (where applicable)
- Other letter(s) of support from persons familiar with candidate's related professional experience and personal leadership capabilities
** The letter of interest and/or the letters of support must include language that acknowledges the candidate’s financial obligation to attend WASTECON and other SWANA events, as invited and necessary to represent the association, and to devote the time required to fulfill the duties of the position for a minimum two-year period.
The nominating committee shall review applications for the Steering Committee positions and select the most qualified candidates by February 28, 2018.
Questions? Contact Lynsey Baer.