The SWANA Applied Research Foundation’s Disposal Group report presents best practices to keep employees safe at landfills, as well as best practices that landfill managers can implement at their facilities to improve hauler safety.
- Keep landfill equipment and hauler vehicles in separate areas at all times.
- Require personal protection equipment (PPE) for haulers as well as employees.
- Keep self-haul customers separate from commercial haulers.
- Implement employee wellness programs.
- Develop safety education programs for self-haul customers and small independent haulers.
The full report, Employee, Commercial Hauler, and Self-Hauler Safety at Landfills, is published only to SWANA ARF subscribers until January 2021. SWANA members receive free access to ARF industry reports one year after publication.
The Executive Summary can be accessed by filling out the Contact Form.